Pulaski doubles up Seymour in non-conference wrestling

Dustin Riese

Looking to kick things off with a bang, the Pulaski Red Raiders made the short drive to Seymour for a non-conference wrestling tilt with the Thunder on Nov. 30.

After sitting deadlocked 6-6 three matches in, all it took was two massive Pulaski runs that accounted for 31 of the teams 49 points. That would be more than enough for the Red Raiders in this one as they kicked off their season by doubling up the Thunder 49-24.

“Despite the victory for us, it was an overall sloppy performance all the way around,” head coach Nate Preslaski said. “The first match of the season is typically one of those times when the kids are not at their best, and you just need to overcome that. That is the process of the season as you take your bumps along the way with hopes of improving as the season goes on.”

Leading 6-0 after Ava Peters picked up a forfeit win at 106 pounds, the Red Raiders were tied 6-6 after three matches as Logan Boehnlein and Aidan Peters secured 7-2 and 10-7 decisions, respectively, to tie things up. After that, it was all Pulaski as their next three matches set the tone for what was to come in the match.

Broc Ambrosius started things off with a forfeit win at 126 pounds while Connor Nooyen earned a 13-9 decision over Conner Steffens at 132 pounds. That was followed by another forfeit win by Jake Fredrickson at 138 pounds as the Red Raiders took a 21-6 lead.

After both teams exchanged pinfall victories over their next three matches to make things 27-18, the Red Raiders had another run in them as they wanted to finish things off for good.

That run started at the 165-pound weight class as Andy Servais recorded yet another forfeit win in what was becoming the theme of the night for the Red Raiders. Moving to 175 pounds, Griffin Vanlannen took Bennett Brow only to make quick work of him 11-2 for the major decision victory.

Another six points was awarded to Elliott Karcz at 190 pounds as he needed just 32 seconds to pin Sam Micolichek as the Red Raiders led 43-18 at this point and secured the match victory. Seymour earned a forfeit win at 215 pounds for their final six points, and that was one of the matches that Preslaski was looking forward to seeing the most.

“Every night, there are certain matches that you circle and get excited to watch as a coach,” he said. The 215 match was one of those as we were looking forward to seeing Cael Leisgang take on Chase Woosencraft. Both are extremely good wrestlers who have the potential to go very far this season. Unfortunately, that match didn’t happen, but that is the nature of this sport.”

Looking to close out the night on a positive note, it was the 285-pound heavyweight match that was set to end the night. In that match, Seymour’s Brock Socha squared off against Pulaski’s Lukas Ruechel. What looked to be a fairly one-sided match throughout, Ruechel started to take things over late and pinned his man with just 17 seconds left in the first period.

“Although our wrestling could’ve been much cleaner tonight as a whole, this is what tends to happen early in the season,” Preslaski said. “You go through struggles early on but clean things up as the season goes on. The kids know what they did well tonight and know what they need to work on, so we should see tons of improvement over the weekend.”